In order to prevent the creation of humanitarian disaster preconditions in the area of antiterrorist operation, the emergence of social tension in the rest of Ukraine and in order to form positive public opinion on the Armed Forces of Ukraine during the special period, legal regime of martial law or a state of emergency, in peacekeeping operations and security emergencies, senior military leadership had decided to implement the system of Civil-Military Cooperation in the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
Civil-Military Cooperation is a systematic, planned activities of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and other military formations and law enforcement agencies established under the law of Ukraine (hereinafter - the Armed Forces of Ukraine) in coordination and cooperation with the executive authorities, local authorities, public associations, organizations and citizens in the areas of military units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine deployment in order to create a positive public opinion and providing favorable conditions for the implementation of the tasks and functions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine by assisting the civilian population in solving of life problems with the use of military and non-military capabilities.
Civil-Military Cooperation is the most effective and productive segment of the relationship between society and the armed forces, between the military and political authorities, and therefore a standard feature of allied forces of NATO, which is carried out by their command and control bodies, military units and divisions at strategic, operational and tactical levels, whether in their permanent deployment and in operational areas (areas of engagement).
In the Armed Forces of Ukraine the establishment of Civil-Military Cooperation system ( according to the standards of the NATO) within the overall structure as well as in the area of the antiterrorist operation in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions began in 2015.
Main efforts of Civil-Military Cooperation groups, focuse on the following areas:
- assistance to the civilian population;
- support to the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
As part of measures to assist the civilian population:
- together with public authorities CIMIC created conditions for the conduction of the elections of local authorities in the areas of antiterrorist operation in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions;
- gained about 1 thousand 500 tons of humanitarian aid to the civilian population of Donetsk and Lugansk regions;
- created conditions for the return of local authorities and law enforcement authorities to the liberated settlements of Mariinka district;
- engaged strength and resources of local communities and organizations to restore the infrastructure of settlements of Donetsk region;
- organized the collection and distribution of assistance to the boarding schools;
- coordinated and supported the permanent restoration of electric power lines in towns suffering from constant shelling;
- launched the project of information gathering on disabled people and organized the addressed delivery of food to them;
- together with the national non-governmental organization evacuated the local population of Debaltseve;
- started conducting social projects aimed to counter negative information influence of Russian propaganda;
- in cooperation with international organizations and international non-governmental organizations launched a project of mine safety and humanitarian demining in the areas of ATO in Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
As part of measures to support units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine:
- established system of search and exhumation of the bodies of killed in action soldiers of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, law enforcement and other military formations (for the period from September 2014 to present – 675 bodies and fragments of bodies, among them for the year 2015 – 582 bodies and fragments of bodies);
- conducted medical evacuation of seriously wounded military personnel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, who were kept on the temporarily occupied territory of Donetsk and Luhansk regions;
- established targeted delivery of medicine to the personnel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine who were staying at the hospitals on the temporarily occupied territory of Donetsk and Luhansk regions;
- started sharing information with representatives of active local communities to support units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in restoring peace and order in the towns of Donetsk region;
- continued delivery of the charity aid to the units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
The establishment of Civil-Military Cooperation contributed to a significant increase of trust of civilians to the Armed Forces of Ukraine as an institution of state, allowing to minimize the impact of the effects of military operations on civilians in the area of anti-terrorist operations, helped to shape positive public opinion on the Armed Forces of Ukraine in the areas of military units deployment and increased the possibility to counter the negative impact of information flow of Russian Federation on the population of Ukraine.